Saturday, April 26, 2014

SMDEP: A Summer to Remember


Hello fellow teeth lovers! My name is Megan Chavana and I am a third year Biology major and I’d love to share one of the most memorable summers with you!
Friends. Fun. Experience.

Those are the three words that can accurately describe my summer of 2013 at the Summer Medical and Dental Education Program at the Houston Dental School. This is a program focused on helping minorities in healthcare fields and to gain insight into classes in medical or dental school, shadowing experience, lab experience, and networking opportunities. We were able to work on personal statements, the application process, and help understand the financial responsibilities and advice from experts.

My favorite academic experiences would have to be working in the simulation lab and the anatomy lab. We were able to perform class 1 cavity preps and were taught how to properly use the hand pieces. We got to keep the teeth which was really awesome! The anatomy lab was so surreal. I remember being super anxious over seeing a cadaver; it was a great way to appreciate how far doctors and dentists have come based on gaining knowledge from those who have kindly donated their bodies to further the future generations of health providers.

In addition to the rigorous 8-5 schedule, we made time to have some fun on the weekends by going to the mall, movies, and the zoo. There was plenty of time for social activities which was great! We played sand volleyball and tennis frequently and had access to the gym.
My favorite part of the experience was the friendships that I made. I was overwhelmed at how close we all got to each other. Initially I was nervous and anxious since I knew of no one attending the trip; however, that changed quickly once I instantly connected with so many new people. It still amazes me to think how close we are still to this day regardless of the distance. I can safely say that I have met some of the most fun and genuine people throughout this experience.


Overall, I am so blessed to have met many dental students and friends that are always a phone call or text away. By going to this program, it has solidified my decision in pursuing my dream of becoming a dentist. Something that I have realized is that there are people out there that want you to succeed and are willing to help you, but they aren’t going to do anything if you don’t ask. Asking is the key to going further and you never know where it may lead you.

No comments:

Post a Comment