Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Valentine's Day with the Elderly

I really enjoyed going to the valentines for the elderly community service event! It reminded me of how funny and down to earth older people can be J. In high school, I participated in an event called “Cupcakes and Candles” where my peers and I would sing (even though I didn’t have the voice for it) to the elderly after school the last Tuesday of every month. After singing, we would distribute cupcakes to the elderly! The joy on their faces was enough motivation to make me attend the event each month. It was such a cute community service project and when I went to the valentines for the elderly community service event, I saw happiness in the faces of the elder people (it resembled the joy on the faces of the elderly people during Cupcakes and Candles). Many people would rather work with young children as opposed to the elderly because they feel that the elderly might be boring or grouchy. However, they are quite comical and entertaining! An elderly woman in particular confirms this. According to “Babe” she was quite conservative when she was younger and now that she is older she wishes she could have “had more fun” with all her “boyfriends.” I was baffled to hear such words coming out of this woman’s mouth! Not all old people are the same. They are, however, all wise and give you advice as it pertains to the regrets they have had in their past.


Randa Kabbani
Freshman

Chemistry major

No comments:

Post a Comment